Random Acts of Thought

You have arrived at Jeromes space on the Web Welcome to my rambling ground. I have set up this space for a number of reasons. Firstly I am not good at keeping in touch with people. I KNOW I should write letters, make phone calls and such, but I am plain bad at it.A blog seemed a practical way of letting many people at once know how I am doing and what I am up to. Secondly I enjoy talking and thinking. This seemed like a good place to express my views on whatever came to mind.

Name:

The Thoughtful Ape is a primate who is honestly interested in understanding the world he lives in. He is particularly interested in cognitive biases and the limits of intuition. Like most of his species he is both vain and opinionated but is interested in understanding what is true despite these faults. The Thoughtfuls Ape's opinions change and evolve with time. What is posted here reflects his opinion at the date at which it was written.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

What I'm reading

Im rereading the Stand at the moment... Ive gone on a binge of Early Steven Kings lately.. Salems Lot, The Shining, Night Shift and now The Stand all in a row...
Id actually forgotten just how amazing this book is. Its huge, over a 1000 pages... but they fly by. I guess Im morbid but I am a sucker for end of the world fiction... King describes the gradual breakdown of order with utter believability...
I know the ending is terrible but the first 500 pages are so awesome that you can almost forgive it. The collapse of a civilisation is absolutely fascinating to me. I guess its morbidity.
A few years ago I stumbled upon a website that had archived all of Josef Goebbels columns for the Nazi periodical "Volkischer Beobachter." He wrote this column throughout the Nazi era kept up with his column to the VERY end. It become more and more surreal and aplocalyptic as the end drew nigh. For a while I was completely hooked. What facinates me is just how long people will keep up the pretense of control even in the face of a complete breakdown... It reminds me of the Iraqi information ministers claim that there were no American tanks in Baghdad even while they were in full view of the assembled media behind him.
One of these days I want to read Gibbons Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire..
It chronicles just the sort of epic collapse that I find so absorbing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home